Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2004, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 1 Nov 2004 17:21:03 -0800
From:         mark drillock <drillock@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      New cheap Costco tire found - Load C, BFG, 14"

It is a BFGoodrich Commercial LT195/75/14, $76 installed, All Season tread too. Anyone tried them?

http://www.costco.com/Tires/Product.aspx?IV=false&YW=195%2f&MA=75&MD=14&SP=All&MN=&cat=3960&MNo=0&Prodid=10025543&Aspect=75&Diameter=14&Speed=Q&Width=195

For years one of the best deals on tires IMHO was the Costco house brand light truck tire. They came in a Load C, which means rated for 50 psi, and also 2 plies in the sidewall instead of just 1 like car tires mostly have. I know lots of VW Van people who bought these tires and liked them and I used a couple sets myself. Too bad they stopped selling them last year. Now it seems that a similar tire is once again available at Costco. I just saw some in the store and checked some of the info stamped in the tire. Load Range C sidewall - 2 polyester plies tread - 2 polyester plies, 2 steel plies 1435 lbs at 50 psi

Costco has always had and still does carry a great Michelin LT195/75/14. This is the LTX M+S Load C. I like these a lot but Michelin prices have been going through the roof. Costco has these for $109 installed. They have Michelin sales regularly with $15 off per tire sold in a set. Same load specs and ply details as the BFG.Both of these tires are load index 93. Not enough to meet later Westy specs, according to some. Better than any P series tire of that size.

My personal view is that at a minimum any Vanagon tire must be able to be safely inflated to the pressures VW recommends for Vanagons and must have more than one sidewall ply.

Mark