Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2004, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 1 Nov 2004 22:47:28 -0800
From:         "Todd P. Last" <Rubatoguy@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: Largest diameter wheel.
Comments: To: Al and Sue Brase <albeeee@MCHSI.COM>

My experience was that I had to have the tire store call Michelin, AND point out that it is on their commercial truck tire list. It is not a tire that even Michelin seems all too familiar with.

Load rating is at max pressure, and as you reduce pressure, the load rating reduces proportionally.

The downside in the larger diameter is slower acceleration - but it will also reduce your freeway RPMs slightly. I believe it worked out to about 10% in my case.

I'd be curious to know if any of the tires you saw that had carcass/belt failures were appropriately rated for Vanagon. I've seen a number of tire failures from people who were adventurous to put car tires that did not meet the load rating on the Vanagon.

Todd '88 Westy