Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2004, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 2 Nov 2004 02:03:12 -0600
From:         Al and Sue Brase <albeeee@MCHSI.COM>
Subject:      Re: Largest diameter wheel.
Comments: To: "Todd P. Last" <Rubatoguy@comcast.net>

Todd: ALL of these tires but maybe 1.5 sets were reinforced or C 6pr tires. I kinda misspoke when I posted that. What I mean to say is that there are probably 6.5 to 7.5 SETS of mounted Vanagon tires around here. At least SOME members of each set have failed due to broken carcases/belts, IOW have a lot of out of roundness. The only ones that did not fail were the Avons. These are a studdable all weather tread. I have 8 of them. (Actually 1 of those failed too, but I drove it after a sudden loss of air in extreme cold for about 2 miles. At least 20 below and my work van was bumping around so much because of the cold and packed snow I didn't even realize the tire was flat! I still put a tube in it but less than a year later it blew out. I really can't hold it against Avon for that one! ) It's hard to say any other brand is much better than the other, except the Avons. I've been driving type 2's and Vanagons for 22 years now. I bought my first one, a 1976 after an engine fire. After getting the restoration all done, I took it for a drive- absolutely scarey. I knew VW would have never had any buyers if they drove new like that. Then I read the owner's manual (it says right there!) Back then I got a lot of sets of Klebers 185R-14 reinforced. Those were pretty good as I remember. But I've had a lot of Michelins, Conti's, especially fail. I'm quite familiar with the XCA's. I had them on an old Chevy 4wd pickup. I broke those, too,but only by driving over sharp brick edges with 1000 bricks in the box. That was 6000 lbs in a 1/2 ton pickup. Can you say abuse? Not very much snow traction, but very quiet on the road. Does any mail order place sell 205/75R-14 XCA's ?