Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2004, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 2 Nov 2004 08:09:27 -0500
From:         Greg Potts <Greg@POTTSFAMILY.CA>
Subject:      Re: Largest diameter... tire failures
Comments: To: Andrew Grebneff <andrew.grebneff@STONEBOW.OTAGO.AC.NZ>

Hi Andrew,

On 2-Nov-04, at 4:51 AM, Andrew Grebneff wrote:

> Put it this way... the lower the profile/larger the wheel diameter > you can afford, the better the handling will be... and as I keep > saying, the difference could well save your life in an emergency > avoidance situation.

Only if all other factors are equal.

VW designed the bus and Vanagon suspension and steering for a specific wheel offset. They also included a spec on tire pressure, load rating and sidewall rating. Following these guidelines will NOT make a vanagon unsafe, if it did then DOT's worldwide would have intervened decades ago. Good luck finding a low-profile tire with the correct load rating.

> The only problems are expense and possibly risk > of tire-sidewall damage in large-sharpassed-rock offroad situations.

Depending on where and how you drive, these risks are NOT minimal. One of my customers has a box-stock BMW 323 with 50-series Michelin tires on it that has had to replace 4 tires in three years due to pot-hole incidents. And that's with a suspension designed explicitly for that tire and wheel combination. If you run these tires and wheels on a vehicle that wasn't designed for them you are increasing risk. Period. That doesn't make a vanagon safer in my book.

> According to enthusiast (nonVW) magazines, the better of such tires > won't cause a degradation of ride comfort (I'll be able to report on > this from personal experience once my van's back on the road). > --

OK, so now we think the non-VW enthusiast mags know more about the Vanagon than VW or the DOT. Sure, they know more about bling, but as I said above, unless all other factors are equal you don't have an argument.

One more thing.... Larger wheels and tires DECREASE horsepower. More rotational mass leads to more power required to turn those big spinners, and that makes for PROVEN lower numbers on the dyno.

My buses are happy on Continental CR-21's. My Dad's Vanagons are running well on Kumho 185R14. YMMV.

Happy trails,

Greg Potts Toronto, Ontario, Canada

1973/74/79 Westfakia Conversion **Bob the Tomato** LY3H 1977 Sunroof Automatic L63H/L90D http://www.pottsfamily.ca/westfakia http://www.busesofthecorn.com