Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2004, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 2 Nov 2004 09:37:11 -0500
From:         Kenneth Wilford <kenwilfy@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: Aux fuel tank update.

Simplest is best. I had a customer come in that made his own aux tank. It was around 12-15 gallons capacity. It looked like a long coffin shape and was mounted (in a 2wd Vanagon) on the passenger side of the van aproximately the length of the sliding door and right in that area underneath the van. His filler neck just came up inside the passenger side front wheel well and was easy to get to and required no body work. The tank had a simple transfer pump on it so there were no problems with venting, etc. Basically it would be like pouring extra gas into your tank while you were going down the road. He would run the pump until it pumped the main tank up again and then shut the pump off. All while he was still driving. He took several trips to Alaska and said this feature came in very handy.

Just FYI.

Thanks, Ken Wilford John 3:16 http://www.vanagain.com http://www.strictlyvwauctions.com http://www.eurovan.org http://www.vwcabrio.org Phone: (856)-327-4936 Fax: (856)-327-2242

This tank is designed to be a Diesel / SVO tank [Straight Veggie Oil] with an optional heater that uses the coolant to get the SVO to a higher temp to make it less viscous. My plans are for an air tight system with a one way valve that only allows air into the tank so that a vacuum is not created when the volume of fuel goes down. There will be a vent from the tank to just before the neck so that when you are filling it, the air can get easily displaced. I am wondering if there is more to CARB certification that what Transport Canada wants to see, an air tight system that will not release vapours. I think it will work just fine with gasoline, but it isn't the main objective for this project.

On a similar note, does anyone have the expansion rate of Diesel and Canola oil?

David Marshall

Fast Forward Automotive Inc. 4356 Quesnel-Hixon Road Quesnel BC Canada V2J 6Z3

http://www.fastforward.ca mailto:sales@fastforward.ca Phone: (250) 992 7775 FAX: (250) 992 1160

- Vanagon Accessories and Engine Conversions - Vanagon, Transporter and Iltis Sales and Importation - European Lighting for most Volkswagen models

Due to the large volume of email we receive, PLEASE include previous emails when responding. This will allow us to read the complete dialogue in one message and will result in quicker and more accurate responses.

I'm not sure about Diesel requirements but my 2004 Diesel motor home does not have any uncontrolled vents for the fuel tank. In fact, the fuel cap is sealed by 0-ring. For gasoline, part of the certification process includes the max fuel capacity and the vapor recovery system. I doubt there is an easy, legal, certifiable way to add fuel capacity, especially for gasoline.

Dennis