Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2004, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 9 Nov 2004 11:22:55 -0600
From:         Al and Sue Brase <albeeee@MCHSI.COM>
Subject:      Re: Turbo diesel 5-speed DOKA Made Legal
Comments: To: Dart 330 <dart330@HOTMAIL.COM>

Nathan: Yes, you are right . I THINK it was Beetlemex. They still sell air cooled parts from a website. They did the conversions IN Mexico. I guess the Feds figured the resulting vehicle was no worse for safety (DOT) or emissions (EPA) than the 68-79 vehicle which donated the title and frame. AND these were passenger vehicles. The DoKa is a commercial vehicle, and subject to more import duty. Also, the key to getting caught is the VIN itself. The feds can actually monitor these numbers at some stage from the states vehicle registration lists. The number will send up a red flag to the feds at some point. And someone mentioned that there is no windshield VIN plate. (This will be a big problem if ANY law enforcement officer EVER looks at it.) So, I'd stand by my original idea. If you want to register it legally and not worry about looking over your shoulder and considering the possibiliy of confiscation, federal fines and FEDERAL criminal prosecution, it has to have the frame changed. Register with the title and numbers from the donor Vanagon which you REPAIRED with these parts. (It CAN be done.) Al Brase