Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2004, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 9 Nov 2004 22:25:54 -0600
From:         Joel Walker <jwalker17@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: Ever heard of a "Hunter" ? syncro

>>I believe you're talking about the Jagdwagen. It is a lot like a >>Tristar >>Syncro, four doors, four bucket seats, and lots of options. I think >>they >>were all painted hunter green as well. > > The Jagdwagen was the VW 181 ("Thing"), wasn't it? > <http://www.geocities.com/vwtyp181/181_1-3.htm> > MJ Vickey's page <http://www.velocity.net/~vickrail/moshevw.htm> has > one of > those Doka Syncro "Hunter Special" ones in with the green paint, > rifle > storage, and roll bar setup. Doesn't say what it's called in Germany > though.

the vw brochure, in german, for the 'hunter special' starts out with ...

Volkswagen. Fuer Jagd, Forst und Freizeit.

and shows a green 3-door syncro, with white tonneau cover over the bed, special roll-bar cage, and front-bumper-mounted winch. yup. only 3-door. no 4th door mentioned or visible in the pictures.

on the 2nd page, it says ...

Der Volkswagen Jadgewagen. Ein kaptitales Stueck.

the big things that i notice in the brochure are ...

* only four seats. two bucket up front, with walkway between, and two buckets in back, with a gap between them. * special dash, like those in the Dehler Profi campers: - flip down table/tray on passenger side - 9-cassesstte holder - drink holders built into the top of the special part. * spare tire up in the bed, in front corner on driver's side, covered by tonneau. * gun rack built into the pass-through storage under the bed, between the rear wheel well and the rearmost doors. * sliding windows in the rear. tiny, but sliding parts for ventilation. * seats appear to be leather. grey interior.

says you can get it the rear 3-person bench in back, carburetted or fuel injection gasoline engines, or a turbo-diesel engine.

there was one for sale in california a while back. not sure if it had all the gun rack and stuff, but it was green and had the roll bars and the gun rack thingie.

unca joel