Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2004, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 10 Nov 2004 16:54:40 -0500
From:         Mike Collum <collum@VERIZON.NET>
Subject:      Re: Stuck in 4th - Final Answer + more questions

This summer, just prior to a trip from Maine to Virginia, I pulled the transmission out of my '85 Westy and replaced the crankshaft mainseal, pilot bearing, felt washer, clutch disk and pressure plate, throwout bearing, clutch actuating lever bushings, starter bushing, and transmission input shaft among other things. This was my first time to pull a Vanagon tranny and I did the in/out and repairs without assistance. I only pulled the transmission. I did NOT pull the engine.

This was done in my driveway which has a hardpack surface .... dirt and gravel.

I do not have a transmission jack but I do have a 3 ton and a 2 ton garage style jack and jack stands. When putting the tranny back in, I started it up on the smaller jack but saw that, without assistance, it was going to be unwieldly, so I got a number of pieces of scrap wood (3/4 inch thick squares which had been cut from planks) and lifted the tranny with one hand while slipping another piece under until I had the correct angle and pushed it right back in place. No problems.

BTW ... I'm 62 years old and not quite as strong as I once was, but manhandling the tranny was no big deal.

Some good info can be found here: http://volksweb.relitech.com/clutch.htm It addresses removing the transmission. The only thing not mentioned that is required is disconnecting the throttle cable from the bracket on the transmission housing.

Mike '84 GL 7 pass '85 GL Westy

<snip> You can pull the engine by itself, but to pull the transmission you need to pull the engine to get it out of the way. Depending on the shop will depend on how it gets booked and you can get ripped.

A shop that does it nicely will only bill for slightly higher than just an engine pull because they will pull the engine and transmission as one unit and then detach the transmission so there is only a slight difference in the actual labor time. Others will bill for the individual rr rates which is way higher.

As for doing it yourself, it is not that difficult

Remove battery cable from pos term Remove alternator wiring Remove fuel line and plug Remove fuel return and plug Detach vac line for brakes and plug For water boxer get large coolant drain pan and pull off lowest hose to drain coolant Remove other hoses as needed and mark where they were if not obvious. There will be other wiring to disconnect as well.

Two bolts on right frame and on left frame And the transmission mount bolt And the hydraulic line to the slave cylinder on the transmission.

A jack or some kind of platform to lower the tran/engine to is going to be needed. For a connected unit I usually lower from the top down to a sheet of plywood and then pull the sheet out from under the vehicle with everything on it.

NOTE...this is just a quickie sketch and not a full procedure!!! <snip>