Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2004, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 10 Nov 2004 18:23:07 -0500
From:         Dennis Haynes <dhaynes@OPTONLINE.NET>
Subject:      Re: HELP! Separating e-brake cable from rear brake backing
              plate...
Comments: To: Tim Demarest <tim.demarest@POBOX.COM>

The backing plates were originally zinc coated, galvanized or otherwise protected. If they are rusted, they are probably weak, have been pried on, bent twisted, etc and should probably be replaced. Many brake complaints of soft pedal and squeaks are due to the backing plates not holding the shoes straight to the surface of the drum. Check the wear of the drums. If they are tapered, the plate is the problem.

The shoes should be shimmed at the bottom by removing the mounting pins. Usually 3mm needs to be added to each pin for factory shoes. 4-5mm may be needed for after market. McMaster car has great 14mm ID shims in Stainless. In a pinch, some 9/16" external snap rings from the local hardware store work fine. A small torch will help get the cables out of the backing plate. A large torch may be needed to get the lower shoe mounts out of the center holder.

For best pedal feel, make sure the wheel cylinders have the springs to push the pistons out, (ATE) and the adjuster and cable set correctly.

Dennis