Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2004, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 10 Nov 2004 17:38:55 -0700
From:         Anonymous Digest <jbrush@AROS.NET>
Subject:      CV Joint Experts?

I had a great trip to Moab, and made it home safely but the last 100 miles revealed what I am thinking is a bad CV joint.

I am pretty sure its my turn to dive under and do the CV joint replacement, but I thought I would throw out what I am hearing, and maybe either confirm the joint is bad, or perhaps I am overlooking something that might be misleading me.

On my recent trip, just as I was nearing home, I started to hear a clunking/knocking noise that I figured was coming from the right rear axle area. I was wasted from the trip, and the rain and snow precluded any under-van adventures, so I just stayed in the right lane, kept my speed constant and tried not to stress whatever it is that was making the noise.

A solid Tap Tap Tap occurs whenever I let off the throttle. As I cruise the neighborhood and then back off the throttle, its a pretty rhythmic, clunk, clunk, clunk, but sometimes it does not do it at all. It will stop when I give the least bit of throttle and change the stress on the driveline. Only a few times do I hear it when I accelerate, and never from a dead stop, only between gear shifts as I let out the clutch and load the axle. Its a pretty solid sound, and it does not make any noise going around corners, either with the clutch in and coasting, or in gear under a steady load. Even while decelerating around a corner, it is not as pronounced as it is when going straight.

Even as I write this, I am convincing myself of what it is, but I figure it can't hurt to check with folks who have 'been there, done that' :-)

The boots are in great shape, no sign of any cuts or any grease anywhere near the area. They do have a lot of miles on them tho.....

I was thinking the exhaust/muffler might be loose and banging when I decelerated, but I cannot see any sign that there is any play in the pipes. Everything there looks okay.

I am bummed that the boots look good, but I know nothing lasts forever, so I guess I am up next for replacing them.

Questions for those who have BTDT?

I know the archives are filled with info and will be shopping there tonight. Are there any web sites that go through the steps? I have read the posts about cleaning the allen heads carefully, and don't think its more than a PITA and a mess. I am up to the mechanical ability no sweat, just leery of doing something I have not done before, although I have done CVs on 4WD trucks many moons ago.

What fails in them? What makes the actual clunking? Does clunking mean it has failed, or is it in need of cleanup and replacement of grease?

I have seen the reports of places to buy grease and tools that can sort of inject the grease through the edge of the existing boot. Is there any good reason to try this before R&Ring the joint?

Now the question no one can answer, but conjecture is solicited. It absolutely only started doing this 100 miles ago for sure. I would not ever drive it on the freeway like this, and be hesitant to use it at all, but if push comes to shove, would the joint fail if I was to drive it for around town if it was needed? Hard to ask because I know there are variables. Do I get any miles left on a joint once it starts clunking?? I was supposed to help a friend pick up some big stuff at WallyMart not too far from here, and now I don't know if its a good idea to make the trip or not.

Thanks for reading this far. Any comments or advice beyond the well-known "its a knuckle buster and a greasy mess" :-) would be most appreciated.

John