Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2004, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 10 Nov 2004 22:09:00 -0600
From:         Warren Lail <wlail@OU.EDU>
Subject:      Pulling the tranny yourself
Comments: To: chris@MCCLURKEN.COM

Hi Chris,

You absolutely can replace your transmission yourself. Less than a year ago I had done no more than changed my oil and done minor tune ups. Since that time I've installed an engine, pulled and resealed my tranny, installed a flywheel, clutch assembly, starter, and so on, and now the old tranny is out and a new one ready to go in.

You do not need to pull the engine. Borrow a floor jack and jack stands if you don't own them. Jack the rear of your bus up and be sure it is secure on the jack stands. Chock your front tires. Remove the Air Flow Meter and throttle body to make it easier to get to the upper right tranny bolt. Disconnect your batter, disconnect the starter wires, disconnect the shifter from the tranny, and disconnect the clutch slave cylinder. Remove the four bolts that hold the tranny to the engine. Be sure everything else is disconnected, and then center the jack under the tranny. Jack it up until it is firmly under the tranny. Have someone help you at this point. Have someone "manage" the jack as you remove the four bolts (and ground strap) that hold the tranny to the frame. Do not work directly under the tranny at this point as it could fall on you. Have your "jack manager" lower the jack just a bit, and as he or she does so you wiggle the tranny back and forth so that it will pull out and away from the engine. Once it is free, it will be balanced, sometimes precariously, on the jack. Carefully lower it to the ground and pull it free of the bus.

While you're under there, now is a good time to check the condition of your clutch. If it has a bunch of miles on it, now is the time to replace it (get a clutch assembly kit, which includes the clutch, pressure plate, and release bearing. Make sure you also replace the pilot bearing and flywheel seal. Also replace the O-ring that is situated in a groove in the flywheel itself (I just learned about that one this week). Before you put the tranny back in, be sure to replace the starter bushing. It is an easy job when the tranny is out, but not so easy once it is back in place.

Although you do not need to pull the engine, you ought to brace it somehow so as to avoid putting too much stress on the motor mounts, especially if they are old and worn and if the tranny is going to be out for more than just a little while.

Best of luck. If I were coming through NashvilleI would stop in and give you a hand.

Warren Lail 88 Westy "Billy Bones"