Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2004, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 8 Nov 2004 09:11:55 -0600
From:         Jim Felder <felder@KNOLOGY.NET>
Subject:      Re: Stocking and Preparing your Westy

Also check out

www.waltonfeed.com

if your computer and bandwidth can handle a food inventory about the size of the vanagon.com archives, go straight here:

<http://waltonfeed.com/cart/all.html>

Their deal is that they don't freeze-dry food, their rationale is why pay many times more to remove the last few percent of moisture when it will last five or ten years anyway?

We ran across this kinda survivalist site looking for backpacking alternatives to expensive freeze-dried food. What we've tried has been good-to-excellent quality. The disadvantage for backpacking is that dehydrated foods require a lot of boiling--and therefore fuel--to reconstitute compared with freeze-dried, but that's not such a big issue on a westy stove.

Also, it's the only place I know of you can get dehydrated fixings like sour cream, butter, cheese, desserts, etc. Unbelievable inventory. Their stuff all comes in cans as far as I know. They are good to deal with.

Jim