Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2004, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 11 Nov 2004 14:20:01 -0600
From:         John Rodgers <inua@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: MY new '88 Westy, 53K orig. miles
Comments: To: Gerald Masar <azsun99@EARTHLINK.NET>

Hi Gerald!!

Congrats, Man -- on the "new" '88 Westy!! I'm envious. I drive and '88 GL, and would sure like to add an '88-'90 Westy to my own stable.

Does this new machine have a manual tranny?? If so - swap to Redline MT90. Change it every two years at minimum, more frequently if you do a lot of traveling.- every 50,000 miles.Talk to Daryll at AA Transmissiona about this.

Dump the tires on the new rig, and get some with tall stiff sidewalls,lots of plys, hold lots of air pressure. I have on my '88 GL Michelin 205-75R14's, 6 ply, Load Range D, 65 PSI. Runs and corners like on rails. I love this tire, but it does have a down side..... it does not have a very aggressive tread and will slip on wet surfaces if care is not exercised.

On the oil, I would add a can of Marvel's Mystery Oil to the crankcase, drive it a bit then immediately change the oil, installing a Mann oil filter and filling back up with 10W40 Mobil 1 Synthetic. When you re-install the oil plug, use one of those copper/fiber crush gaskets. I get mine from Ken Wilford at Vanagain.com.

Enjoy your new machine.

Regards,

John Rodgers 88 GL Driver