Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2004, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 12 Nov 2004 12:33:02 -0700
From:         jimt <wetwesty@TACTICAL-BUS.INFO>
Subject:      Re: hawker sbs j40
Comments: To: patrick <appin@DISTRIBUTEL.NET>

On 11/12/04 10:46 AM, "patrick" <appin@DISTRIBUTEL.NET> wrote:

> I was out looking at batteries today to use as my aux. I came across a > supplier that carried a bunch of sbs j40 batteries at a very good price but I > do not know nothing about them(or anything else my wife would say). Does > anybody out there in vanagon land know anything about these and what is 39ah? > Thanks Patrick Bishop,85 westy, appin Ont > > Warning note..that battery is designed as a "float" battery and not a true deep cycle but often show up in surplus markets as deep cycle. I am seeing those listed at about 30 bucks each. These batteries are typically used for short use emergency power like to a telecom rack that these were designed for and kept under a constant trickle charge.

39 amp hour is the rating of how long the battery should last. The equivalent of 1 amp for 39 hours. That is an extremely small battery for an aux In my opinion. For an idea, the normal interior light used in the cabin is about 20w. This is about 1.5 amps. That battery would last for about 26 hours. With fridge about 12 hours. Note that deep cycle batteries are designed to be repeatedly brought down to 80% levels and recharged. Starting batteries are designed for a max output of instant current but never brought below about a 90% charge. 10.5 is usually used as the low limit of a deep cycle and 11.25 is usually used as the low for a starting battery.

Go to wallmart and get a group size 24 deep cycle battery for the price of two of those. Group size 24 deep cycles get 70 to 85 amp hours depending on brand and will outlast a float battery. •••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••• jimt Planned insanity is best. Remember that sanity is optional. http://www.tactical-bus.info (tech info) http://www.westydriver.com