Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2004, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 12 Nov 2004 17:41:30 -0700
From:         jimt <wetwesty@TACTICAL-BUS.INFO>
Subject:      Re: brake fluid change
Comments: To: Richard A Jones <jones@COLORADO.EDU>

On 11/12/04 4:01 PM, "Richard A Jones" <jones@COLORADO.EDU> wrote:

> What's the current advice on brake fluid > changes? I ask because after looking very > carefully through the manual for my '01 > Jeep Cherokee, I find no mention of ever > changing the brake fluid--auto tranny, > transfer case, front & rear diffs, radiator-- > yes, but brake fluid--no mention other than > checking the level. > > I have always thought that the brake fluid > should be changed every couple of years or > so because it could absorb moisture. > > I drive this Jeep as my daily driver instead of > either of my Vanagons (mandatory Vanagon > content ;-) > > Richard A Jones > Boulder, Colorado > > Vw vanagon book says every 2 years 20k miles.

The jeep manuals only show the fluid being replaced if condensation or water droplets are observed in the reservoir.

Remember that the vanagon is based on DOT3 and newer vehicles are using DOT4 or DOT5. DOT5 is very high temp rated with extremely zero absorption of water. The reason is that dot 3 and dot 4 are based on a liquid that can absorb water and dot5 is a silicone based product. DO NOT use dot 5 in any system not designed for dot 5. You may develop leaks everywhere from eaten seals.

Dot 3/4 vehicles usually show a flush at 2 years

Chrysler usually uses dot3/4 fluid but still does not recommend a flush unless needed for vehicles after about 1995 when all hoses and seal were made with EPDM materials.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••• jimt Planned insanity is best. Remember that sanity is optional. http://www.tactical-bus.info (tech info) http://www.westydriver.com