Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2004, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 13 Nov 2004 11:50:33 -0700
From:         Gerald Masar <azsun99@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      length of Westy clothes closet door?

Good morning all, I am still near the bottom of the learning curve on my new-to-me '88 Westy. Well, not too many changes from my '90, but which year did Westfalia change the length of the clothes closet door? I have vague recollections of msgs about this before, like "how do you get the door open with the table in the way?", but at the time, it didn't apply. The PO of my '88 solved it by re-working the door, using the original parts, so it is hinged at the top. He cut the door a few inches from the bottom and hinged it there. The latch is still in the original place, so when you open the door, it swings up, the bottom part folds as it passes over the table. On the inside back edge of the door is a brass slide-bolt that extends to catch a bracket on the wall between the windows to hold the door up. Guess I don't have to add that the mirror is gone :). Another touch was adding access hatches to open up the "secret compartments" under the front seats. And yes, the PO is a German mechanical engineer.

TOO BAD HE DIDN'T TELL ME THE GAS TANK OVERFLOWS WHEN YOU FILL IT UP! Oh well, life is not perfect, and I already had the repair kit in anticipation of using it on my '90. Jerry