Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2004, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 13 Nov 2004 16:07:02 -0600
From:         Warren Lail <wlail@OU.EDU>
Subject:      Bus community event - unplanned but great!

Hi all,

I pulled my old tranny about ten days ago and had a new one built up with a tall (0.78) fourth gear. While I was under there I replaced the #1-#3 manifold. Thanks to listmember Bill in Mystic, CT, from whom I borrowed a tool to check endplay, I now know that my end play is correct. Thanks Bill. I buttoned it all up and went for a drive. Nice. I took it out on the freeway and at 3800 rpm in fourth gear I am running right at 72 mph. Now that's more like it! Quiet, too. It sure is good to have ole Billy Bones back on the road again.

Also today, our friend Greg T (78 Westy, 77 Standard, 87 GL) came down to help out. While I was tinkering with Billy Bones, he put a new set of cv axles in Maggies 85 Westy Subie conversion (it'll be running soon). Lars and Ellen (91 Westy) showed up and we swapped a few parts. Brian (60 Splitty single cab) came over early this morning and helped me install the tranny. Dewayne (66 Splitty Kombi)) came by as well. We had a veritable bus party here today, pizza and all.

Listmembert Dave Milo may be coming to visit again next week. We look forward to seeing you Dave. Give us a call when you get to town.

Warren Lail 88 Westy "Billy Bones"

"Every day when he came back from his stroll he would ask if any seafaring men had gone by along the road. At first we thought is was the want of company of his own kind that made him ask this question, but at last we began to see that he was desirous to avoid them."