Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2004, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 8 Nov 2004 20:55:24 -0800
Subject:      Re: Plate vs Chassis VIN - was - Turbo diesel 5-speed DOKA Made
              Legal
Comments: To: rrecardo@WEBTV.NET

I agree that the thread is getting long, but here's a good one about the VINs that got me in some warm water with the RCMP once-upon-a-road-side-inspection with my former 1988 Syncro DoKa. The VIN on the plate on the dash was something like wv1gh0244gg012345 the underside of the vehicle was wv1zzz24zgg012345 - the VIN on the dash and the registration DOES NOT match the chassis VIN number. The chassis VIN number of every North America spec Vanagon that I have seen always has wv1zzz24z--123456 - there are no Zs in North America VINs, these are engine types, seat belt types and check digits. It was after about 20 minutes on the side of the road when dispatch radioed the officer that there is a difference in the plate and chassis VINs of German made VWs. I felt better as I bought the truck about 9 months earlier and I was thinking - fudge, I'm driving a stolen vehicle - which I wasn't. You can verify this irregularity your self by crawling under the vehicle next to the sliding door - there are two parallel pieces of metal that straddle the jacking point. This is where the VIN is stamped into the "frame" of the Vanagon. The only other place there are VINs is on the build sticker below the fuse panel - not sure if this matches or not and the bar code on the passenger door - this doesn't match the NA VIN. My German made Jetta II is the same 'error' - dash and firewall do not match check digit wise, they ALWAYS match with sequential production numbers, series letters, year letters and country of manufacture but the check digits/letters are not on the chassis of the vehicle. Even the late model TDI stuff that I work on that was made in Germany has ZZZ instead of the check digits in the ECUs VIN. So, if these irregularities exist, knowledge of this must be known throughout most province and state DMVs. I am quite sure that this eBayer isn't selling a hot DoKa and that the VINs do match - on a European Vanagon, the VIN is not on the dash, it is at the front section of the passenger door - and the VIN there does have the ZZZ, just like the chassis VIN. Also, when you go to the TuV in Germany for your once every two year inspection, they do not look at the door VIN, they *ALWAYS* look at the chassis VIN as they know that anyone can use a pop rivet gun.

David Marshall

Fast Forward Automotive Inc. 4356 Quesnel-Hixon Road Quesnel BC Canada V2J 6Z3

http://www.fastforward.ca mailto:sales@fastforward.ca Phone: (250) 992 7775 FAX: (250) 992 1160

- Vanagon Accessories and Engine Conversions - Vanagon, Transporter and Iltis Sales and Importation - European Lighting for most Volkswagen models

Due to the large volume of email we receive, PLEASE include previous emails when responding. This will allow us to read the complete dialogue in one message and will result in quicker and more accurate responses.