Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 16 Nov 2004 09:59:14 -0800
From:         Jim Thompson <jim@KARMANNGHIA.COM>
Subject:      Re: fuel line kits

I'll second what Ken has to say regarding the source of replacement parts for our beloved Vanagons, much less other VW models. Every day brings news to my working in purchasing that this item or that item is either no longer available or Volkswagen (and/or their manufacturing supplier) has shifted production of what's still available to a 3rd or 4th world country. Face facts - because of costs, much of what you need to fix your Beetle, Bus, Ghia, Vanagon, Eurovan, etc., will be made in some places some people would never dream these items will be made. And a lot of it is pretty darn good quality. But the words "caveat emptor" still applies.

A co-worker just recently obtained a set of Hella E-Code Headlights for his TDI Passat with the components made in two locations, to wit: Plastic Bulbholder/Reflector Housing made in China (w/German/English/Chinese Characters on the Hella stickers) and the lenses (still amazingly enough) made in Germany and then assembled/boxed in China.

Old German-made inventory has been drying up for a while and it will be gone before you know it. It's called progress (and in some cases, a lack thereof).

Jim Thompson 84 Westfalia 2.1 "Ole Putt" oldvolkshome@earthlink.net jim@karmannghia.com http://www.oldvolkshome.com *********************** ----- Original Message ----- From: "Ken Wilford" <kenwilfy@COMCAST.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Tuesday, November 16, 2004 5:47 AM Subject: Re: fuel line kits

<SNIP> > Sometimes the best quality part out there comes from Turkey or Brazil or > Poland or England or France. I hate to tell you this but each of these > countries I just mentioned are suppliers for VW and I have seen these > country names actually engraved, raised, or imprinted on VW parts from > the dealer. One lady got upset with me a couple of weeks ago because > some of the coolant hoses for her 1.9l Automatic came from Turkey > instead of Germany. They were VW! There is no other source for them. > She should be happy they can still be had at all. > > Hope this clears things up for you a bit. > > Ken Wilford > www.vanagain.com > John 3:16 > > THX0001@aol.com wrote: > > >In a message dated 11/15/04 6:11:45 PM, kenwilfy@COMCAST.NET writes: > > > ><< My kits use only German high > >pressure fuel line. >> > > > >I thought you subscribed to the ever popular and often repeated notion that > >the country of origin of van parts neither can be predicted nor makes any > >difference. > > > >George > > > > > >