Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 17 Nov 2004 22:55:43 +0100
From:         Robin Oomkes <roomkes@ZONNET.NL>
Subject:      '88 TD - *occasional* rough idling/loss of power

Hi all,

my new to me '88 TD with 122000 original km (75000 miles?) occasionally idles rough. It's hard to define, but it just vibrates a bit more than normal. Tach shows a fraction below 1000 rpm, when idling smooth or rough, but it sounds as if it's doing a normal 800-900 rpm. When trying to get top speed or when going up hills I feel it's just a little less powerful than other TDs I've owned. Starts immediately hot or cold so I don't suspect compression. Uses a fair bit of oil (1 liter/quart per 2000 km/1250 miles) but it's just been 'treated' to full synthetic, I'm not sure of consumption on dyno.

It's got new oil and filter, air and fuel filters. I've run a bottle of snake oil (magical diesel injector cleaner) through the system. No change.

I'm thinking cleaning/replacing the injectors is the next step. What do you think?

Robin '88 Westy TD '03 R1150GS