Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 16 Nov 2004 08:37:36 EST
From:         George Goff <THX0001@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: what do you have in it / Or Hung from It?
Comments: To: inua@CHARTER.NET

In a message dated 11/15/04 7:52:43 PM, inua@CHARTER.NET writes:

<< there was a

time when I regularly carried 12 foot lumber and stp ladders --- inside

and with the doors and hatches closed. Nothing sticking out. >>

John,

Your reply jogged my memory regarding the unquestionable utility of a Vanagon. Rather long objects are no problem and if there is more of them than can be placed on either side of the front passenger's seat, the seat can be removed without the need for tools.

For the really long stuff, I've hung it on the side of the van by splicing up three short fibrous rope chokers and toggling them at the door-to-body gaps, front middle and rear, with softeners between the load and the van body. On the outside I feed each choker through its eye to form a bight. Among other things, using this method I've hauled light gauge structural steel (21 feet in length) and full lengths (20 feet) of 4" sched. 40 PVC pipe. Once a method was established, they where surprisingly easy to load single-handedly.

Hauling long stuff takes some care and regard for your fellow human beings since the load will project quite a bit beyond either end of the van and it ends up at the exact height to conk some sweet young thing smack dab in the puss as she impetuously steps off a curb right into your path. Ample flagging and great caution are the orders of the day for this type of hauling.

Dumb and dumber anecdote:

I went to stock up on some Baltic birch plywood right after I got my first van. It was about a 70 mile trip home, so I wanted the load as out of sight and mind as possible. Being used to the 4 foot width limitation of American trucks, I told the millyard to rip off a foot on each 1500 mm X 1500 mm (nominally 5' X 5') sheet. I kept kicking myself in the butt as I loaded each 4'(!!!) X 5' sheet and saw the ample expanse of blue carpeting on either side of them. I also kept asking myself, "You idiot! Why wouldn't European vans be sized to fit European sheet goods?"

George