Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 18 Nov 2004 21:42:44 -0500
From:         Dennis Haynes <dhaynes@OPTONLINE.NET>
Subject:      Re: weeping tranny seal at cv joint
Comments: To: rgolen <rgolen@UMASSD.EDU>

The only O-ring is the one on the outside of the bearing carrier housing. This is not a wear item and attempting to replace should not be done by the faint of heart. Turning this carrier effects the ring-pinion clearance and output bearing pre-load. The outer seal is fairly easy to replace but unless the trans has been overheated or is very old, the seal is rarely the problem. A groove on the output flange, worn spines causing a loose fit, bad bearings, or an overfilled trans are the usual causes. Unless the leak is so bad that it makes a big mess or you regularly need to add gear oil, just accept it as part of your vans character.

Dennis