Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 15 Nov 2004 10:01:11 -0800
From:         mark drillock <drillock@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: More New Info RE: Can't Search Archives: 1.9 stalled at
              speed, won't restart...
Comments: To: "David J. Bohannan" <david.bohannan@VERIZON.NET>

The fuel pump is NOT supposed to have power just because the key is on. The ECU tells the fuel pump when to run. For safety reasons the ECU keeps the pump OFF unless the engine is turning. The exception to this is that the ECU tells the pump to run for a second or two when the key is first turned on, just to bring the system up to pressure for starting. The ECU controls the fuel pump relay and the relay controls the pump. If you pull out the pump relay and jumper the socket between pins 30 and 87 the pump should run constantly, regardless of the key position. ( I would put a 15-20 amp fuse in the jumper for safety)

There is no stock fuse for the fuel pump circuit, or for the ECU power, or for the injector power, or the coil power. VW decided no fuse was needed. ?????

Mark