Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 14 Nov 2004 23:07:51 -0700
From:         jimt <wetwesty@TACTICAL-BUS.INFO>
Subject:      Re: New Info RE: Can't Search Archives: 1.9 stalled at speed,
              won't restart...
Comments: To: "David J. Bohannan" <david.bohannan@VERIZON.NET>

On 11/14/04 10:18 PM, "David J. Bohannan" <david.bohannan@VERIZON.NET> wrote:

> Removed wires from starter...no more "short"... > > Will get new starter tomorrow and start troubleshooting the rest of the > fix...any recommendations? I am starting with the coil...how does one > know that the ECU is working or not? Would the idiot lights still > work??? HELP!!! > > Dave > > -----Original Message----- > From: Mike Collum [mailto:collum@verizon.net] > Sent: Sunday, November 14, 2004 10:09 PM > To: David J. Bohannan > Subject: Re: Can't Search Archives: 1.9 stalled at speed, won't > restart... > > Hi David, > > Have you isolated the starter yet and, if so, was that where your short > was? > > Mike > > ----- Original Message ----- > From: "David J. Bohannan" <david.bohannan@VERIZON.NET> > To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> > Sent: Sunday, November 14, 2004 7:23 PM > Subject: Can't Search Archives: 1.9 stalled at speed, won't restart... > > >> All, >> >> >> >> 2 things.first off, I can't get into the archives.I don't know what > has >> happened, but when I go thru the normal steps to get there, the page >> comes up blank.. >> >> >> >> Second, more important issue is that I was tootling along at about 40 >> MPH and the engine DIED.would not restart no matter what. >> >> >> >> Here are some of the possibly related conditions.my starter just went >> out.I am sensing something may have been wrong with the electrical >> system- perhaps not charging well enough.the battery was at about > 12.45 >> volts which doesn't seem too bad, but then again.not sure. >> >> >> >> Now, another unrelated problem may be a SHORT in the electrical system >> that when I hook up a decent battery to the vehicle I get a huge > draw.I >> am not sure if I fried the new starter and its stuck engaged, but I > will >> take it loose from the electrical system first to see if that may be > the >> case. >> >> >> >> The real question, (since Bentley doesn't seem to be too good at >> assisting in DIAGNOSIS) is what pieces should I check first? >> >> >> >> I was thinking, first pull that stupid starter out of the equation and >> see if my short goes away, if not, start looking for a loose > wire.where >> should I look first??? >> >> >> >> Other than that.can anyone else commiserate with me? I don't like > being >> stranded :-( >> >> >> >> Thanks! >> >> >> >> Dave >> >> 1.9L '85 > > Note on removing wires from starter and no more short......

Wires from the starter also go up to the engine and alternator.

Did you just disconnect the starter out of line and still leave all wires connected but not to the starter? Or did you just disconnect the battery lead from everything at the starter?

One way you isolate the starter, the other you have just disconnected the entire engine area as well and may not have a starter shorting.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••• jimt Planned insanity is best. Remember that sanity is optional. http://www.tactical-bus.info (tech info) http://www.westydriver.com