Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 21 Nov 2004 16:26:20 -0600
From:         John Rodgers <inua@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: looking for dynamat feedback...
Comments: To: Trvlr2001@AOL.COM

Funny thing about some of these materials. General public is like a bunch of cattle ...... enough intelligence to see the green in the grass and know where to eat, but not much else.

A lot of products get labeled Carcinogenic .... and they are. But are they dangerous to ones health??? You betcha! But only if they are not handled correctly. Understand what you are dealing with, then take proper precautions, and you can have a product that does a really good job... safely.

Two cases in point: Case one: John Mansville Siding. - asbestos - scheduled to be installed way up on the side of a school building in Birchwood, Alaska outside of Anchorage. Installer had been trained by the manufacturer as to how to handle the material, how to cut it, how to seal it, how to install it, how to dispose of leftovers - all safely so as to not add a threat in the environment. The siding was encapsulated. That stuff would last a hundred years or longer, and never have any fiber exposed. The materials had been specified in the architects plans and specs, approved by the school board, and purchased and delivered on the job site..

Material for the job cost over $50,000 and was already on the job site. Word got out about how "Asbestos is going to be installed in our new school"!!! The local community freaked - all in the newspapers, TV, radio. All the pundits really whipped it up. And the result??? The school district had to eat it - $50,000 plus the freight, handling, storage and ultimate "Proper Disposal" whatever that meant. Ultimately over $100,000. Hugely expensive and for what?? All because the general public didn't understand the nature of the materials, and only had the garbage put out by the local "news" to really go by. What a crock!!! I was there. Saw the whole nightmare take place. That siding would have been great for that school, and posed no threat. Only a "perceived" threat. Now asbestos made up differently, packaged differently, handled differently ...... that's another story.

Case Two:

Where I lived there was a 90 cu. ft. kiln with 6 inch folded refractory fiber that came up for sale through a bank foreclosure. Because I was in the business, the banker approached me one day, and said " I have this kiln to dispose of and I've had a number of lookers, but everyone is afraid of it. One prominent local potter has been very vocal about the fiber in this kiln being carcinogenic and it seems to be scaring everyone off. What do you think?"

I looked at the kiln, saw that the kilns fiber surface had been properly coated and sealed. I told him that were I interested I would take it in a heartbeat. It is safe enough and the price is good" He looked at me, and still worried, asked "But is it really safe??"

Then I asked him if he would allow a dangerous explosive material in his house.

He said "No".

Well, what about if it were kept in your car?

Still, the answer was "No"

Then I explained, "When proper handled, properly used, properly stored, with safety precautions met, and an application of informed intelligence is made, things are not nearly as "Dangerous" as they seem. You allow a very explosive material into you home on a twenty four hour basis. You have been there 12 years and never had and incident, and likely won't, as long as you use your intelligence. You heat with it, and cook with it, and heat your bath water with it. The material is "Natural Gas". You also drive a car with a material that can easily explode if not handled correctly and used correctly. It's called "Gasoline". It is not a problem when used with intelligence.

The same principle applies to the so called "Carcinogenic Fiber" in that kiln. A knowledgeable potter is not going to have a problem with it because they will know what it is all about ."

I then added " Sounds like that potter you mentioned was blowing smoke to get your price down!!"

The bankers response??? "Hmmmm!"

The kiln sold a couple of days later for the price he was asking.

Don't get freaky about material in the van. Use your intelligence. Understand what you are dealing with. Take necessary precautions and be safe. The enjoy the fruits of your efforts.

Regards,

John Rodgers 88 GL Driver