Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 15 Nov 2004 16:00:04 -0600
From:         David Devere <vwpub@ONWORDBOUNDBOOKS.COM>
Subject:      Trip Report and oil leakage

Hello fellow listees, As a continual service to our community I present these mind numbing numbers for your digestion just in case anyone is doing a vanagon mileage survey. On a recent business trip from Duluth MN to Houston TX and back total =3295 miles, all interstate miles. Cruised at 65 which for my 87 Syncro Westy is about 3400 rpm or so (the needle on the tac is broken so I can be sure). I used 195 gallons of fuel with an average of 16.79 mpg. My best was 19.36 and my worst 14.50. I was carrying 700lbs of books on the way down and (do to a good show) nothing significant on the way home. The added weight never noticed. The van performed just the same. I did use 2 quarts of 20W50 oil. The leak from where the transmission and the engine meet has gotten worse. The back of the van shows the evidence.... I've had the leak since I bought the van in 2001, but it has never been this bad. I usually don't drive that hard, 800 miles one day. So my question is do you think my main seal has finally given up? Do I start my winter project and attempt to replace the seal? This is a scary proposition. I'm handy but lets face facts every repair I done on my van is a new experience. The local mechanics up here in northern Minnesota don't usually know the engine is in the rear of the van! Consequently I do all my own work. Anyhow opinions as always are welcome.

Thanks - David Devere On-Word Bound Books LLC 7004 Olson Rd. Two Harbors MN 55616 www.onwordboundbooks.com