Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 15 Nov 2004 19:04:12 -0800
From:         Daniel Dix <danielddix@TDS.NET>
Subject:      Re: shift linkage concept question
Comments: To: Jim Felder <felder@KNOLOGY.NET>

All -

I'm currently in need of some of the "nylon" bushings at the rear of my 82 vanagon diesel that guide the shift relay lever into the proper position at the tranny. These include the shift lever relay with two balls attached (251-71131) and the guide pin with guide ring that keeps the shift rod in alignment but allows it to rotate (251-71181, or 251-71182 for the ring alone, Hope these are correct #'s). If these parts are severely worn, no amount of adjusting will give you clean shifting into both 1-2 and 3-4. In my case, the nylon bushings are partially broken away, especially on the relay lever. Anyone know of a source for these parts, as well as the rubber boots that keep them all full of grease & clean? Any list vendors (Ron?) please chime in, & thanks for the help.

Dan 81 Westy 82 ASI Diesel > > From: Jim Felder <felder@KNOLOGY.NET> > Date: 2004/11/12 Fri AM 05:18:06 PST > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Subject: Re: shift linkage concept question > > I'm not the real deal on this but others who are will surely chime in > soon. But I have been through it recently on two vanagons. > > The lateral movement of the shift lever is very important in the > vanagon setup. The lateral movement ends up putting the shifting shaft > (coming out of the side of the transmission) at precisely the right > depth for shifting into the gear pairs (1-2, 3-4 on a 4-speed). If the > depth of this shaft isn't correct within millimeters, you are shifting > into "nothing" back at the transaxle. And to guide you to do it right, > and not shift into reverse by mistake, the shift lever up front moves > around what you might call a shift gate, but it's really a box with > obstacles that you must move the end of the stick around, the effect to > the driving being that it's moving through an H-shaped gate. If the > movement through this gate doesn't match up with what should be > happening back at the transaxle as described above, the car does not > shift acceptably. > > All this said, I worked with my two until I learned a lot about all the > setup, preloading of the shift shaft, etc. but after many many trips > under the car and test drives I wasn't happy with the results. I turned > both cars over to a local shop where they have racks, help and > experience, and the result is that both cars shift like they did when > new. > > Jim > > > On Nov 12, 2004, at 6:41 AM, Michael Rule wrote: > > > Hi All, > > > > rebuilt 4spd tranny in, trouble shifting into 2,4 without having done > > more than unbolt and rebuilt linkage at trannyand replacing the > > ball-joint on the relay lever (and grease the socket)... found bucket > > loads of advice to try, since Bentley pics pretty murky, altho I > > haven't read an explanation of what the Bentley's 19/22mm "adjust > > shift rod end" yet, mostly just "loosen linkage at the band clamp and > > twist the shafts slightly"... any greater explanation of that would be > > great, but my real question is... > > > > Can someone explain how a slight twist of the linkage might/will bring > > these gears back into proper shifting range? > > > > I can't seem to wrap my brain around how that would make such a > > difference, which probably mean I am making it more difficult than it > > is (or I'm lacking in coffee intake, or just plain ole dumb as > > rocks!). When I shift into 2,4 it "feels" like the linkage isn't > > pulling the tranny lever far enough foward; but clearly the linkage is > > as far forward as possible (at the tranny clamp/linkage support plate) > > altho I can't be certain the lever/shift rod on the tranny is with the > > linkage attached. > > > > Thanks! > > mike > > 84 > > > > > > > > > > --------------------------------- > > Do you Yahoo!? > > Check out the new Yahoo! Front Page. www.yahoo.com > > >