Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 16 Nov 2004 07:29:18 -0800
From:         Craig Oda <craigoda@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: brake pedal going to floor

First, thanks for the words of wisdom from the "Voice of Experience." I've ordered an MC and should get one in a few days. I have the Bentley, but it didn't show where the MC was or how to take it out. I am at work now and I haven't opened up the dash or looked for the MC on my vanagon yet. Where is the MC and what's an easy way to get it out?

Just some background on my skill level. I'm a novice, but have changed the pads and taken the calipers off the van for cleaning in the past. I have crow-feet wrenches, if I need them. I plan on changing the brake fluid in the system.

Regards, Craig

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 06:30:59 EST, thx0001@aol.com <thx0001@aol.com> wrote: > > In a message dated 11/15/04 1:01:58 PM, craigoda@GMAIL.COM writes: > > << What's the real danger of my current brake condition? The van always > stops and offers good resistance on the brake pedal when I pump it. >> > > Craig, > > The real danger is that someday you will scream, "God help me!!!" as you try > to stop the van. This is from the Voice of Experience who once had a > catastrophic brake failure on the Geo. Washington Parkway near the Iwo Jima Memorial, > on a Friday at about 5:00 PM, while doing 55 MPH. Wherever the driver's seat > from that van is, it is indelibly stained brown for the rest of time > > There might be an internal leak in your master cylinder (see the List from > about a week ago) and it is not getting better with age. For the sake of > accuracy, what you should have stated is: "The van always HAS stopped . . ." > > So, replace the master cylinder and check the brake system regardless of the > time, the effort or the money. > > George >