Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2004, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 23 Nov 2004 18:38:51 -0800
Subject:      Re: [Syncro] Contemplating H4 headlight upgrade?
Comments: To: Don in North Carolina <Don_Dixon@bellsouth.net>

I would caution you about using an adapter from going from a 9004 plug to an H4 plug. The pins in the 9004 bulb are very small and will not carry a lot of current without voltage drop and thus lower light output. You will notice that most reputable bulb manufacturers don't make 100W 9004 bulbs for this reason as the terminals are just too small to carry any current for a long time. My dad installed some 80/100s in his F150 and the terminals got all brown from over heating in about 1 month - not something that I would want. Also, over the long run, you risk more water damage as there are more junctions and the chance of things vibrating loose.

If I were you, I would permanently install the H4 plugs and make a H4 to 9004 adapter for the once a year trip to the inspection place. This way you are starting with large connectors for the H4 bulbs and you are minimising the current drop. When installing the 9004s for the inspection - who cares about any voltage drop as you are just doing this for the inspection. As long as the lights light up and can be aimed, this is all they care about.

David Marshall

Fast Forward Automotive Inc. 4356 Quesnel-Hixon Road Quesnel BC Canada V2J 6Z3

http://www.fastforward.ca mailto:sales@fastforward.ca Phone: (250) 992 7775 FAX: (250) 992 1160

- Vanagon Accessories and Engine Conversions - Vanagon, Transporter and Iltis Sales and Importation - European Lighting for most Volkswagen models

Due to the large volume of email we receive, PLEASE include previous emails when responding. This will allow us to read the complete dialogue in one message and will result in quicker and more accurate responses.

-----Original Message----- From: Don in North Carolina [mailto:Don_Dixon@bellsouth.net] Sent: November 23, 2004 8:11 AM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: [Syncro] Contemplating H4 headlight upgrade?

For those who are thinking about doing the H4 upgrade, either from Fast Forward while David has the sale going ($430 CAD = shipping, ~$362.44 USD + 20, or ~$382.44 USD total for 86 to 91 outer lights) or elsewhere, I have found a place that sells the male 9004 headlight plugs.

With these plugs, you can connect to your existing wiring and not have to cut/splice your stock wiring. I plan to solder the male 9004 connector to the H4 connector (provided in the headlight kit) and cover the connections with heat shrink, for a waterproof seal.

I need to do this because in North Carolina we have yearly inspections, and most inspection stations will fail you for e-code headlights. I'm getting another headlight mounting bracket and the two inner lights, and will mount the H4's on this. Then when the inspection time rolls around, I'll remove those lights (4 screws) and remove the harness adapter, put the stock lights in and I'm good for inspection!

The place that has the connectors is Susquehanna MotorSports. They are selling for $6.75 ea, total with shipping for two was $20. A little pricey, but these are very hard to find. The web page for the connectors is:

http://www.rallylights.com/hella/Connectors.asp

Don in Reidsville, NC 1987 Vanagon GL Syncro

Yahoo! Groups Links