Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2004, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 23 Nov 2004 22:09:22 -0800
From:         Tim Hurlbut <timothy@SYSAD.COM>
Subject:      Re: ohway <ensoredcay>  (How's your pig latin?)
Comments: To: JD Foster <jidd@JIDDWARE.COM>

People, give it a break. Enough already. Tom is doing a GREAT job. Why can't you just follow the rules and not curse? Is it so hard?

Tim

censored -----Original Message----- From: JD Foster [mailto:jidd@JIDDWARE.COM] Sent: Tuesday, November 23, 2004 9:38 PM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Re: ohway itshay (How's your pig latin?)

*cough* Not to discount the work that Tom does, but IIRC Gerry is owned by the list. So while Tom is the current appointed keeper of Gerry, that does not necessarily grant him authority outside the will of the community. Because he is the current keeper and maintainer of the list, he has the access and *responsibility* of enforcing community standards, or at best his perceived interpretation thereof. Without a charter, policy statement, or some other enforceable form of acceptable use policy, we are left to rely upon either a) Tom's personal opinion of how to censor list discussions or (hopefully) b) Tom's best assessment of how he believes the listees wish discussions to be censored.

For my part, I count my name amongst those who think that the censorship of shit in this context is simply a crock of. Regarding the argument that little Suzie and Johnny might be reading daddy's e-mail: Bull. If mommy & daddy are concerned about what Suzie & Johnny are reading (and they *should* be!), then it is THEIR responsibility to control their children's access to questionable content. As has been said, the occasional use of provoking language to emphasize a point, emotion, frustration or other situation is quite the norm in daily life. The vanagon list a private community and essentially a microcosm of greater society. It is not anywhere near the level of accessibility by minors as is publicly broadcast television or radio.

Censorship of *any* sort ought not be accepted with complacency. Any time a personally liberty is given up, it always needs to be carefully weighed against what the benefit of giving up that liberty is. The arguments presented in favor of censorship thus far do not IMHO justify the cost. I realize that others obviously feel differently. However if there is an appreciable number of people who feel that an administrative action is either excessive or out of keeping with community standards, it *should* be discussed and settled in some manner.

Cheers, JD Foster

Estionquay authorityway, espectfullyray.