Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2004, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 24 Nov 2004 01:41:48 EST
From:         Jeff Oxroad <Oxroad@AOL.COM>
Subject:      anti-theft for car cover?

Since my Tyvek Bus cover was just stolen off my Bus from my driveway, I'm looking for suggestions to keep the next one out of the hands of theives.

Moving is not an option--very funny. I get it, LA is a crime-ridden city.

The locking cable underneath the cover seemed silly to me to protect from theft, because you can easily cut the cover fabric to render to lock and cable useless. But in hindsight I realize the cable probably helps in the case of some bored kids or crack addicts walking around looking to steal something--anything. The hope would be they don't have scissors or a cable cutter and so would move on to something else.

OK, so get the cable lock.

I wrote my license plate on the cover on the front and the back in about 6-inch letters and numbers. Obviously this wasn't much of a deterrent. Possibly huge letters and numbers on the side with the license plate number would be a deterrent?

Any others ideas of how to secure the cover will be appreciated.

Also any leads on a CHEAP cover that is somewhat expendable should it get ripped off. I think the Tyvek cover cost about $200, maybe $150. It lasted about 8 weeks on the bus before it disappeared.

Maybe a $50 universal cover would be less of a draw for theives, or less of a loss if t goes missing. There's not much weather here. I need it keep the Sun from burning the interior and finish.

Covercraft lists no universal cover that will fit the Vanagon-only a custom fit that is about $150-$200. A number of cars in the neighborhood have covers as well that aren't stolen. But of course they're smaller covers and maybe less desirable than a Van cover. And not shiney brand new Tyvek covers either.

Suggestion appreciated.

Best, Jeff 83.5 Westy LA,CA