Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2004, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 26 Nov 2004 08:53:03 -0800
From:         BenT Syncro <syncro@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: auto tranny noise
Comments: To: John Rodgers <inua@charter.net>

On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 10:46:24 -0600, John Rodgers <inua@charter.net> wrote: > BenT, > > I have never driven an automatic tranny equiped Vanagon, but I did own > two of the big Jeep widebody LTDs. Had the Chrysler 727 auto > transmissions. I found I had to scrupulous with filter cleaning and > fluid changes on those things. > > As for the Vanagon, everything I have ever read on this list tells me > the auto tranny on the Vanagons is exceptional. Unlike the > auto-trannies of yesteryear in the VW Bus, the auto tranny of Vanagons > today is superior to the Vanagon manual tranny. > > Also, with the auto tranny, to head off any problems, be scrupulous with > service. Routinely clean the filter, flush, and install new fluid as a > first step to avoiding/eliminating problems. Beyond that , if internal > repair is necessary, I understand from my reading that the transmission > is imminently repairable by way of the ordinary tool box in the home > garage if you have average mechanical skills. For those of us without > those skills, or time, or space, there is always Darryl at AA > Transmissions (on the list). You have a real professional job when he > gets done. > > Regards, > > John Rodgers

John & others,

Thanks for the tips. I did have recent transmission service within the past 6 months. I have noticed any leaks on the ground or elsewhere. Will check fluid levels today that it's daylight. I suppose there could be a slow leak that I never noticed. For those who asked, yes, I lost all forward as well as reverse gears at once.

BenT