Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2004, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 27 Nov 2004 16:21:01 -0700
From:         jimt <wetwesty@TACTICAL-BUS.INFO>
Subject:      Re: Intake air flow, improvement possible?
Comments: To: "Gary Lee, Vanagon Racks" <gary2a@TELUS.NET>

Depending on the type of engine and valving and a few other points, increasing air intake does improve response which some interpret to mean a lot more power. If you open flow the intake by increasing intake sizes and less limiting filter and a few other points you will get no real increase unless the exhaust is also opened up. This means a more flowing cat (legal of course) and a full flow muffler and larger diameter piping with more gentle curves in it or straightened out. Just increasing the flow on the filter will only add minimal hp. Opening up the full intake system can add 5 to 10hp. Opening up the exhaust as well can add 10 to 20 hp. Anything any further is going to need valve work. With the correct valve work and intake and exhaust work you can add as much as 50hp to an engine. Then really flow it by going turbo.

Now the major note and disclaimer...some systems have fuel systems controlled to a point that there is no change whatsoever because they are already close to the max. With those you will need to also adjust injectors to next size and maybe reprogram ecu.

jimt

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••• jimt Planned insanity is best. Remember that sanity is optional. http://www.tactical-bus.info (tech info) http://www.westydriver.com