Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2004, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 27 Nov 2004 19:35:12 -0700
From:         jimt <wetwesty@TACTICAL-BUS.INFO>
Subject:      Re: Intake air flow, improvement possible?
Comments: To: Stan Wilder <wilden1-1@sbcglobal.net>

On 11/27/04 5:04 PM, "Stan Wilder" <wilden1-1@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> I often wonder if a Westy owner could even notice an additional 10 to 20 hp > from the drivers seat. > With the increase in power the fuel usage may go up or the engine may bend > rods, break rings ect if it's modified. > Not knocking your wish list but my 2300 pound Porsche with an air cooled > type IV engine just screams while my 5300 pound Westy with almost the same > engine was a real slug. > I'm thinking the weight to HP ratio is the killer. > > Stan Wilder > Engine Ceramics > 214-352-4931 > www.engineceramics.com

Definite factor. That is why a lot of the so called hp boost ideas donΉt really equate to real performance boost at all and are mostly just hype. They donΉt actually test under road conditions vs the so called computer models. Two shows on tv recently ran into that as well as honda not wanting to use the epa milage for their hybrid vehicle.

The computers that hook up to the car to measure the fuel economy have no relationship to real gas milage or power output. Myth busters recently showed that on one episode and a hot rod performance show did the same thing showing how a mfr could slant his claims of performance. Honda wants to get rid of the epa measuring scale for the same reasons. The epa tests put a claim of much better performance out on their hybrids than honda wants shown. They claim it is so far from real that customers would become highly discouraged at the real measurements. As much as 20 percent lower than epa ratings. Honda said that the epa has not changed or updated its testing standards since the 60s. Now that is one really out of date test. •••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••• jimt Planned insanity is best. Remember that sanity is optional. http://www.tactical-bus.info (tech info) http://www.westydriver.com