Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2004, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 28 Nov 2004 11:43:35 -0600
From:         Warren Lail <wlail@OU.EDU>
Subject:      Re: torque wrench
Comments: To: Brien Dews <vwvanagon@gmail.com>

Most Craftsman hand tools do carry a lifetime warranty, but some do not. Their torque wrenches are among those that no longer carry a lifetime warranty.

Almost all of my tools are Craftsman and I do like being able to return a screwdriver, wrench, or pliers and have them replaced at no cost. However, I seem to be replacing them more often these days. I recently bought a Craftsman stainless steel screwdriver and the tip bent severely the very first time I used it. I took it back and upgraded to the Craftsman Pro screwdriver and have had no more problems. The Craftsman Pro line seems to have hardened tips. They definitely have better handles (larger and rubberized).

My Craftsman floor jack started leaking hydraulic fluid after about a month (back when I was using it a lot while installing a new engine in Billy Bones). It has a one year warranty also. I took it back and it was replaced, but in this case I had my receipt in hand.

I like the warranty, but I absolutely hate having to drag my butt out from under my (or Maggie's) van and make a special trip to Sears to replace a tool that should have been more durable in the first place. Two trips in one day to deal with the torque wrench issue really rubbed me the wrong way.

Warren Lail 88 Westy "Billy Bones"

"All the time he lived with us the captain made no change whatever in his dress but to buy some stockings from a hawker. One of the cocks of his hat having fallen down, he let it hang there from that day forth, though it was a great annoyance when it blew. I remember the appearance of his coat, which he patched himself upstairs in his room, and which, before the end, was nothing but patches."

----- Original Message ----- From: Brien Dews <vwvanagon@gmail.com> Date: Sunday, November 28, 2004 10:12 am Subject: Re: torque wrench