Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2004, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 28 Nov 2004 14:36:09 -0700
From:         jimt <wetwesty@TACTICAL-BUS.INFO>
Subject:      Re: Buying a VW and picking it up at the factory in Germany: the
              Best              Way(or a just way) and some new Good Van news...
Comments: To: John Rodgers <inua@CHARTER.NET>

On 11/28/04 11:37 AM, "John Rodgers" <inua@CHARTER.NET> wrote:

> Robert, > > Regards any new VW vans --- I will believe it when I see it. > > If VW would bring to America anything with size and utility comparable > to the Vanagon, and something that makes a unique style statement in the > process - such as the box shape of the vanagon or that of the early > microbus, I would really consider buying a new van. But for now, what I > have - a Vanagon - an 88 GL - is it. Nothing else out there fits the > bill for me. > > But I don't think the German marketing team has a clue as to the > potential of the pent-up market here in the US and Canada. There really > needs to be a van that fits between the big panel vans of of the Big > Three and the Soccer Mom Vans and SUV's that are out there right now. I > wonder if VW is getting the message at all. > > Regards., > > John Rodgers > 88 GL Driver

A recent product audit was done about 9 months ago as part of a VW restructuring. Though the reassignment of some of the north american VW and Audi chiefs is blamed on their comments on a certain luxury vehicle and the man that pushed it through (who also is no longer the main product chief) there is a heavy industry belief that the reports are being used in a major restructuring. It is to also be noted that the new product chief with chrysler and mercedes background in europe is also the only on that has voiced opinions on the phaeton and is still around. Some of the moves he has announced are quite aggressive and have scared some people. How would you like to be a striking german steel worker and your employer announces that all jetta variant production is to be moved to the mexican plant with none left in germany. VW is in major restructuring right now. Even in china. They have set up an "elite" assembly line made up of their best and most experienced workers in a test to see if they could produce a passat that met quality check. It exceeded and is to be sent to australia. The chinese news named the line a "prototyping line". China is becoming a very interesting place to watch. You could hide protypes in that country very easily. It is an almost unbelievably massive country with most of its population concentrated in about a dozen areas with almost no communications other than military/police in the unpopulated areas.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••• jimt Planned insanity is best. Remember that sanity is optional. http://www.tactical-bus.info (tech info) http://www.westydriver.com