Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2004, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 30 Nov 2004 14:42:48 -0700
From:         jimt <wetwesty@TACTICAL-BUS.INFO>
Subject:      Re: Maintenance Schedule
Comments: To: vw4x4@fyi.net

In the usa. Other than a few east coast states and texas there are very few states that have any kind of inspections at all on vehicles that are not commercial use. Actually even there is a problem as a recent check done by a local troubleshooter found that rental trucks fell into a loophole and were not getting inspected as other commercial vehicles were. Probably answered why they are not registered in some states. (out of 6 uhauls inspected - none passed even a light once over check by a mechanic. They were so bad that the mechanic said he wouldn¹t dare take them to an inspector)

Inspections were originally in accordance to a fed standard that expired many years ago.

A 2001 listing showed 22 states still inspecting according to the old fed standard. It also stated that 8 states were letting their own inspection standards lapse. Considering the political football rules on inspections I would guess that the 14 states that were left are probably the ones still using inspections.

Most east coast states still inspect and also inspect to a far greater level than the old fed standards. For example several states also check window tinting. That was never in the old 1960s created fed standard.

jimt