Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2004, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 29 Nov 2004 05:53:45 -0700
From:         jimt <wetwesty@TACTICAL-BUS.INFO>
Subject:      Re: Which Switch Mystery
Comments: To: LOREN BUSCH <labusch@VERIZON.NET>

On 11/28/04 10:27 PM, "LOREN BUSCH" <labusch@VERIZON.NET> wrote:

> In replacing the headlight switch in my '90 Westfalia I've encountered a > curiosity, maybe even a mystery for the list wizards. > The VW part number for the headlight switch is 251 941 531 'X', the X > being one of several letters. ETKA says M for all but the late 90-91, > then T. According to the info and pictures on vanagain.com there is an > additional pin on the T version. But when I called the local VW dealer, > they said L. The switch that came out of my van is a K! And here is > the best part of the mystery. I tried a switch that has a B designation > and it seems to work perfect, all light work! And the B switch is > missing several pins that are on the K that came out! But even with the > missing pins, it works perfect! > I've taken pictures, and stolen a couple pictures from Ken at Vanagain, > showing the socket and the various switches. You can see them here if > interested: http://tinyurl.com/69qol > If anyone can explain to me why the B model switch with the missing pins > works in place of the K model it replaced I'd be very interested. > BTW, it appears that the only available replacement for me, with all the > pins, will be the M model which I will be ordering. And then I'll get > around to installing the relay kit that has been sitting under the back > seat for a year and not fry another switch. > > Checking the wiring diagrams in the bentley ... The contacts 58L and 58R are not used in the vanagon.

And in 1990 they introduced a switch that has a new contact which is needed in those model years.

The 58L and 58R are derived inside the fuse panel rather than in the switch.

Looking at 80 to 84 vanagons the second pin 30 was only used as a connect to get power to the clock and radio (80 to 83) and just the clock in 84.

So after 84 you lost the need for the second 30 terminal. However with the changes in the amount of current going through that switch over the years I suspect a beefed up internals was used on the later switches.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••• jimt Planned insanity is best. Remember that sanity is optional. http://www.tactical-bus.info (tech info) http://www.westydriver.com