Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2004, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 3 Dec 2004 23:15:01 +1300
From:         Andrew Grebneff <andrew.grebneff@STONEBOW.OTAGO.AC.NZ>
Subject:      Re: VW van nomenclature in Japan... Yoshi?

>Out of interest, what superior Japanese large vans are out there? I'm >curious to know.

Toyota Hiace (best van of all) Nissan Homy/Caravan/Urvan Isuzu Fargo Mazda Bongo (also sold as Ford Econovan/Spectron) Mitsubishi Delica/L300

All were/are available in 4WD and diesel. The Hiace & Nissan are the only ones available in 3 wheelbases; they and the Mazda are the only ones still made as cabover designs; the others are out of production (Isuzu) or have been replaced by uselessly compromised wierd-looking front-engined "semivans" of the same name (Delica). The Bongo remains a facelifted version of the vehicle introduced in about 1984 or so; the current Hiace was released in 1989 and still looks great; the current Nissan replaced the ugly 1984 model only about 4 years ago, having run for the equivalent of 2 generations of Hiace (Nissan was in dire straits & probably could not afford to introduce a new model in 1989, and this is probably Mazda's problem also). The small & large Nissan vans always look suspiciously similar to the equivalent Toyotas, but lack the Toyotas' well-integrated style.

All are less wide than the Vanagon, but lack the engine hump in the rear and of course have tailgates opening to floor-level all have top-hinged gates except for a rare split-tailgate Hiace variant; the Hiace & Nissan I think are wider than the others. Some are available with small rear wheels (double or wide), and this varioant has a completely flat floor with no wheel humps. Hiace & Nissan are available in high-roof, with of course a high tailgate. They are also available in ultraluxury versions, though these are usually SWB. The current LH100-series Hiace is available with 2.0 & 2.4 EFI gas engines, 2.4 turbodiesel, 2.8 diesel & 3.0 EFI turbodiesel. There is a front-engined Toyota "Hiace" Regulus, which is about the only such van I can stand the looks of; its rear and side styling is closely based on that of the upmarket real Hiace, and I suppose it was introduced (about 1993) for those in Japan who wanted the front-engined option in a large Toyota. I haven't seen a basic one, nor any wheelbase other than short. I suspect that it is wider than a real Hiace.

Here, and I think in Australia too, the Hiace far outnumbers any other large van model (small vans are dominated by the Toyota Liteace).

I had a long-wheelbase 2.4 diesel 5-speed floorshift 86 LH66 Hiace for a while; it was dual-range parttime 4WD with dual sliding doors. I eventually sold it because it needed expensive rust work to be made legal (it was not really very rusty; we have crazy rust laws here).

A few weeks ago I bought an extralong-wheelbase high-roof single-slider 2.2 diesel 83 LH60 Hiace (same basic body type as the 87) 5-speed column-shift which has been retrofitted with the later 2.4 2L engine replacing the original 2.2 1L. I took this on a 365km-each-way trip to christchurch on a very windy day to collect a Corolla liftback for parts. I was surprised that the van barely feltythe wind despite its long sides and high roof... the LONG wheelbase must be a big help there. Despite being a big heavy van pushed by a normally-aspirated 2.4 diesel four, it cruised very well, and towed that Corolla happily at up to 120kmh, even doing some overtaking.

I have images of some Japanese vans if anyone is interested.

The T4 & T5 VW vansare compromised by VW unreliability and also the design... a long nose means a short cargobay, as well as a strong tendency to understeer. Want the space? Well, then you have to have a LONG vehicle to equal the floor-length of a SWB Hiace. The Frod Trans*it and various Mercedes share this shortcoming. -- Andrew Grebneff Dunedin New Zealand Fossil preparator <andrew.grebneff@stonebow.otago.ac.nz> Seashell, Macintosh, VW/Toyota van nut