Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2004, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 4 Dec 2004 07:10:02 -0500
From:         Ken Wilford <kenwilfy@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: Head gasket replacement: how much?
Comments: To: Jim Heissenbuttel <jim@HEISSENBUTTEL.COM>

Jim, it is hard to say if this motor is worth putting new gaskets or heads on until you have the thing apart. If the engine was overheated then stick a fork in it it is probably done. We had two Vanagons come in both with recent rebuilds (under 50k miles). They were both VW factory rebuilds that for one reason or another had been overheated and the head gaskets were bad.

Here is what to look for: When you remove the heads, look inside the cylinders with a good flashlight. Do you see small lines that run parallel to the piston motion or spots on the cylinder walls that are not shiny (an oval patch of dullness)? Your pistons have gotten too hot and expanded to the point where they have rubbed against the cylinder walls. This means your engine has gotten too hot and it needs to be rebuilt all the way.

If you don't believe me then take the rods off of the crank (not that difficult) and you will see that not only are the pistons beat but the rod bearings are also beat and probably showing bronze. Finally if you took it all the way apart you would see that your main bearings were scored and therefore toast as well.

Head gaskets leaking is not a terminal problem. If you keep driving when the van starts to get hot this will kill your engine. Some folks say, "Hey I was on a bridge, it was dark, I was alone, aliens were attacking (I have heard all of these excuses and I am sure they are all quite valid except for the last one)." That is fine. Just take a look at the clock and make a note of the time. That was the "time of death" of your motor and now you need a new one.

Hope this helps,

Ken Wilford John 3:16 www.vanagain.com