Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2004, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 3 Dec 2004 20:32:20 -0500
From:         Dennis Haynes <dhaynes@OPTONLINE.NET>
Subject:      Re: Head gasket replacement: how much?
Comments: To: Jim Heissenbuttel <jim@HEISSENBUTTEL.COM>

So, what are tough miles? Did it over heat? Have any sudden coolant loss? Radiator fan not work? How many years ago was the rebuild done? The gaskets should last more than 30K but sometimes they do go early. I've had new ones split before leaving the driveway. If the leak is very small and there are no signs of the gaskets splitting or curling, a mild stop leak will seal it. Do not use the Bars Leak pellets. Only a powder or thick liquid. You do not want to clog the radiator or heater cores.

The good books say ~11 hours labor to do both sides. There is no need to remove the engine.

The 2.1L engine is the same head and gasket design but the cooling system has some design differences that make it superior. Much more tolerant of air or gases in the system and mostly self bleeding if there are no leaks.

Dennis