Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2004, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 6 Dec 2004 21:14:32 -0500
From:         Dennis Haynes <dhaynes@OPTONLINE.NET>
Subject:      Re: engine noise.......piston slap?
Comments: To: Joe Lin <joeminglin@YAHOO.COM>

Piston slap usually does not suddenly appear. Since the engine was "short cycled", (run a few times without fully warming up), my bet is that you have an air bound lifter. This is a fairly common VW ailment. There is probably a lifter with a bad ball check or one simply bleeds down. The fix for this is to allow the engine to warm up and then drive it gently. Sometimes, a lifter may get stubborn where the engine has to go above 4k rpm to get it to pump up. After it pumps up, avoid the short start up cycles.

For normal highway driving, the 10w-30 is too thin for this engine. For winter operation, I suggest a 10w-40 or a synthetic 0w-40. For the other 3 seasons, run 20w-50 or Synthetic 15w-50.

Dennis

-87 wolf w/ 81k miles -small coolant leak, about a quarter sized drop of coolant every couple of days -head gasket replaced at about 70k

I went to go check the engine oil, added a quart of 10/30w oil then parked it in the garage. A week went by before I pulled it out and then my waterbox started making noise. pistion slap, I think. It wasnt a knocking noise. I didnt let it warm up completely because i had to pull the steering rack to get a replacement and was running short on sunlight. it does not go away when i rev the engine, it just doesnt sound as loud and I didnt let it warm up. The temp in NYC also dropped into the 30's.

-What is the potential cause of the sound? -What are my potential problems if the sound doesnt go away? -Will I grenade my motor?