Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2004, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 9 Dec 2004 10:24:29 -0600
From:         Paul & Becky Oliver <oliver8@TDS.NET>
Subject:      Re: 130 MPH Vanagon <-- simple solution
Comments: To: "Brian T." <nobleman36@YAHOO.COM>

Many, many years ago I drove a 64 chevy van. I replaced the straight 6 with a 327 v-8 I got out of a 64 corvette. It pushed 355hp on the "dyno" and I could easily "wheelee" the fount 4½ to 5 feet off the ground, 13 to 15 seconds in the 1/4 mile, corner on 2 wheels, and many times raced to 140mph but the toll-ways of Illinois did not allow much more due to the curves, traffic and fear of police. It was heavier than vanagon but about the same length and width.

The drive shaft was only 18" long, snapped it off more times than I can remember, snapped off the front of the pumpkin once, and ruined many, many transmissions. Just couldn't handle the all that power. Had to bolt the rims to the 18" wide rear tires or the rims would spin and rip out the tire bead.

Still miss it, had to stop with all the craziness when first of our 8 children was born.

Paul ----- Original Message ----- From: "Brian T." <nobleman36@YAHOO.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Wednesday, December 08, 2004 11:05 AM Subject: 130 MPH Vanagon <-- simple solution