Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2004, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 9 Dec 2004 18:12:42 -0600
From:         Paul & Becky Oliver <oliver8@TDS.NET>
Subject:      Re: 130 MPH Vanagon <-- simple solution
Comments: To: "Brian T." <nobleman36@yahoo.com>

Here's the secret for building a "wheelee ride."

I had a 200 lb weight mounted in back, about 2 feet behind, of the rear axle and would set the park brake.

This action would cause the drive shaft to act as type of winch, wanting to raise the vehicle, instead of spinning the tires (bolted wheels). You would feel it start to lift and I would "nail it," once the clutch was fully released. If you "dumped" the clutch, it would just twist the re-enforced drive shaft. Then the power, leverage and weight would overcome the rear brakes and I would do a fantastic burnout and wheelee high into the air.

The under carriage was leaf springs with large shackles. The front bumper would get 4½ to 5 feet, but the tires only came 2 ½ to 3 feet. You could see the radiator and engine, like lifting the body of a "funny car," when this happened.

I was told that it looked like the van had opened it's mouth like a shark, biting at the air. Wanted to put a big shark fin on the roof and alter the grill to look like a sharks mouth but the wife wouldn't go for it (Jaws had just come out in the theaters).

The view from the drivers seat was all blue sky! Scared me half to death the first time I did it.

It would make an interesting discussion topic to see if a vanagon could be set up the do the same thing. {:-) lol! Anybody Game?

Paul ----- Original Message ----- From: "Brian T." <nobleman36@yahoo.com> To: "Paul & Becky Oliver" <oliver8@tds.net> Sent: Thursday, December 09, 2004 11:20 AM Subject: Re: 130 MPH Vanagon <-- simple solution