Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2004, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 8 Dec 2004 08:08:16 -0600
From:         John Rodgers <inua@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: 130Mph, or even 90 -- van safety
Comments: To: Damon Campbell <damoncampbellvw@YAHOO.COM>

While crumple engineering definitely saves lives, I think it is difficult for the general public to think in terms of how great it is their $50,000 Super Turbo'ed Whatever with HiSpeed Mud Flaps crumples so easily or to accept the fact that it does.

It is interesting what is going on in this regard. Has anyone noticed the strong switch in many vehicles to plastic. It has been going on for a while in bumpers, etc, but now full quarter panels, doors, rear hatches, even full truck beds are showing up as all plastic.

My son, in anticipation of the changes coming, closed out his truck bed liner business. Sure enough, not long after, the plastic pick'em'me'up truck beds began showing up in ever increasing numbers. They don't need spray in truck bed liners for protection against scuff and rust.

I feel relatively safe in my Vanagon for most driving, with the exception of the"Head-on" situation. If that situation develops, I know there is no satisfactory protection. So I drive very carefully, but I recognize that there is always that approaching idiot that might possibly cross over in front of me. Defensive driving, that's the ticket.

While in New Mexico, I had a near miss in that regard. On the road one day from Santa Fe to Espanola, I was driving on a section of fourlane running north and south. My two lanes going north were up on a slight hill, and there was a sloped cut bank to the right. To my left was a very wide several hundred feet - meridian or island and then the southboud two lanes and beyond it a slope cut bank and up near the top and over the top a stand of small pine trees 3 to 6 feet with some taller.

A speeding car in the southbound lane suddenly darted out on the the island meridian towards my lane. It was really hauling butt ..... I would guess somewhere near 80-100 mph. I kept trucking because I could not tell where that thing was going and I wanted to get to a point where the action was behind me, not coming at me. Well, that strategy didn't work. The vehicle kept coming at me. I took my foot off the gas, watching, trying to get some idea as to where this speeding idiot was going to go. The car at this point was coming up the slope directly at me, but I was slowing. In a split second, the vehicle was in my lane, but in front of me crossing left to right. A split second later it passed me by, missing me by about 6 feet. I saw in a flash two people in the front seat fighting. It appeared they were fighting each other and not necessarily for control of the wheel. The car sped past going up the steep grassy slope to my right and at the top it turned and started back down. This time I was well past and I watched this event from my rear and side mirrors. The vehicle crossed the highway behind me, still at a high rate of speed, but just in front of two other vehicles approaching behind me. It then crossed the meridian again, crossed the southbound lane again - this time in front of a line of approaching vehicles in both southbound lanes, then up the slope of the far side and it disappeared into the pine thicket at the top, small pines snapping off and being thrown into the air and a cloud of dust being raised.

Cars on the other side of the highway were already stopping so I didn't. If that car had hit me I would have been killed, plain and simple. Not enough protection in the front end of the van. But, I feel I would have had better prospects were there to be a different point of impact. However, you never know.

Across the road from my shop in Alaska, was a gas station. We were out of town on a highway, and it was a section where pent-up driver pressure that built over a ten mile stretch of no passing - could be release, and vehicle would speed up, sometime passing. Bad spot to turn in for gas.

An older couple was trying to turn in for gas, and was forced to stop in the highway to await oncoming traffic before turning across the lane. A woman, mother of 3, drunk, empty vodka bottle on the seat of her pickup slammed into them from the rear, doing 80-90 mph. The back end of the car was driven into the back seat, the back seat slamming the front seat, pinning the driver - the old lady - against the steering wheel. The old man was in the space between the seat and the dash. The car was spun into the path of the fast traveling approaching vehicle in the other land, and it stopped spinning when the oncoming pickup truck slammed into the driver side, killing the old woman instantly. It was horrible mess.

A family of ten lost their grandmother, three adult children lost their mother, and a husband lost his lifelong spouse. And three small children lost their mother and were put in foster care with the state because their drunken mother, with several drunken driver convictions, and drunken accident convictions, finally got a manslaughter conviction.

Like I said, you never know. But I feel safer in my Vanagon than I do in any passenger car or SUV.One thing I have noticed - people appear to be very willing to give my big red box a wide berth. And I'm glad! But I still drive defensively.

Regards,

John Rodgers 88 GL Driver