Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2004, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 8 Dec 2004 10:32:49 -0500
From:         "Ahlgrim, Kevin L" <kahlgrim@IUSB.EDU>
Subject:      Re: Testing glow plugs and then replacing tips

Doc, I have been having, and still having, glow plug/relay problems. The inline fuse is to the left of the relay. If you have a volt meter or can make or get a 12 volt test light you will be able to trouble shoot your problem better. With one lead to ground put the other lead on the leftside of the fuse. If you have power there then check the rightside of the fuse. If no power fuse is bad. If you don't have power to the leftside make sure your key is turned on. If you have power to the right side of the fuse then attach the lead to the closest glow plug to the relay. If you have power then the relay is working properly and the glow plugs are bad. If you don't have power then you have a relay problem. Also when testing you might have to have someone turn the key on and off since it is a timed relay.

My relay was not working so I assumed it was bad, tried a different relay and had the same problem. (I have 2 new relays if anyone is interested) My problem is no amber light and no power from the relay. I then pulled the engine temp sensor off (blue white wire) and the amber light goes on and my glow plugs get hot. I have not tested my sensors but that is my next step. Right now that is how I am operating with the wire disconnected. The problem with this is that I only activate it for about 10 seconds. The amber light does not go out so if you wait for it to do that you will burn out the glow plugs. I actually fine my Van starting easier because before when everything was working I don't think my glow plugs were getting hot enough before shutting down. I am documenting my progress at http://www.vwdieselparts.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=6 if anyone is interested or wants to reply. Kevin

Doc wrote:

>> IS the fuse that you are speaking of the inline fuse in the black electrical box in the engine compartment? IS it safe to assume that if I am not getting power to the glow plugs, and that fuse is ok, that the relay is bad, or is there a way to check that the relay is getting 12v?

Doc,

Suggest you check out this site:

http://www.4crawler.com/Diesel/CheapTricks/GlowPlugs.shtml

for lots of helpful info on understanding and troubleshooting the VW diesel glow system.

Good luck

Jeffrey Earl 1983 diesel Westfalia "Vanasazi" http://www.vanthology.com/