Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2004, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 11 Dec 2004 11:54:35 -0600
From:         John Rodgers <inua@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: Towing & sliding door
Comments: To: TJ Hemrick <x53gunner@YAHOO.COM>

My access panel was very difficult, and I got a tip from Unca' Joel that really helped.

Soak with WD 40 or Marvels Mystery Oil (the actual penetrating oil - not the MMO additive we add to gasoline and engine oil) the joint where the panel slips down in next to the rubber bead. Let it stand and soak for a good while.

Be sure and keep any excess that runs down the side of the vehicle wiped up and keep the paint clean. Not that it will hurt, necessarily, but it doesn't belong there, and who knows what long term effects it might have if left there.

Later, use a rubber mallet to bump the panel up and out of the groove. Start the removal bumping at one end rather than the middle.

While you have the panel off, look closely at the pivot point where the front arm the raids in the track changes direction for door closing. There should be a hard, molded rubber or polyurethane bumper up in the metal bracket whick guides the door closure. If it is not there, eventually metal stretching, and metal failure will occur. Not a good thing.

Good luck,

John Rodgers 88 GL Driver