Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2004, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 12 Dec 2004 10:37:52 -0600
From:         John Rodgers <inua@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: windshield sealing Q
Comments: To: Jonathan Lewis <maestroman@WORLDNET.ATT.NET>

Jonathan,

There has been a lot of debate about whether the locking trim is needed or not. I can only say that when I removed that crappy looking burned out old silver window trim, my windshiled leaked in the corners. My windshield guy packed the daylights out of it with some sort of windshield installers secret puckey and it stopped. But it was messy looking in the corners.

The newer non-locking tab rubber seal is made so that the pressure required by the locking tab trim to prevent leaking isn't required.

I haven't done this myself, BUT .........since you have the locking tab rubber, you might give this a try.

Go to the hardware store and get some window screen locking neoprene - black is what you want - and a window screen lock installation tool. It's a handle with a rolling metal wheel on it that has a groove around the perimeter.

Next, grease the groove in the rubber with liquid handwashing soap (not detergent - it will tend toward dryrotting the rubber) or some glycerin. Then work the neoprene locking tab into the groove using the tool. Once installed it provides the pressure to aid sealing, and if black is used, it won't be noticeable either.

Hope this helps

Regards,

John Rodgers 88 GL Driver