Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2004, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 12 Dec 2004 14:30:45 -0600
From:         Al and Sue Brase <albeeee@MCHSI.COM>
Subject:      Re: 81 Air Cooled,CV axle replacement, conversation
Comments: To: jbrush@AROS.NET

John: You've got very little to lose by trying it. I THINK it is possible to disassemble and reassemble an inner joint without removing the outer joint and axle from the Vanagon. If you are in a place that is somewhat warm and no blowing sand, you could position yourself on a creeper and just push back the boot retainer, and roll the joint apart .Alternatetivly, you could just pack some new grease into the joint from the inside or even with a hypodermic needle from the outside. You can follow the directions from one of the sites mentioned earlier. The important thing here is to get comfortable because you need to be able to concentrate while you get all six balls back in. Just by rolling the wheel while it is up on jack stands, you can probably hear the noisy joint. These things will often last a long time even while making noise. If you tune in to the noise (I'm sure many of us do!) the noise will drive you nuts long before the joint breaks. Al Brase