Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2004, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 12 Dec 2004 17:27:21 -0700
From:         jimt <camper@TACTICAL-BUS.INFO>
Subject:      Re: Starting Problems....looking like alternator

I have seen some diesel that wouldnąt start cold if the glow plug circuit couldnąt get enough current. Clean the battery terminal and inside the connector. Get it running and then check the voltage at the battery. You should be getting about 13.6 or higher for most applications. If considerable less check the connections at the starter terminal and clean them. The heavy lug of the starter terminal is where the alternator connects to the battery cable. This is a loose connection and corrosion point that gets missed often. If voltage is still low get the alternator tested at a flaps if you donąt have a tester. jimt